Duluth, Minnesota Fly Shop - Minnesota, Wisconsin and Upper Midwest Full Service Fly Shop header

Welcome to our fishing forums!  Anyone can read post, but only registered users are allowed to make new posts, edit posts and reply to other posts. To register click the 'Register' button at the bottom of the page.
John, Owner Great Lakes Fly Company

Fly Fishing Forum  Discussions  Northshore Fly ...  Fly selection for pink salmon
Previous Previous

Next Disabled
New Post 8/27/2010 9:39 AM
  Fishpaws
3 posts
No Ranking

Fly selection for pink salmon  (United States)
Hi, folks.

I'm hoping someone can provide me with a little advice. I'm making some plans to fish the pink salmon run this fall, but having never done it before, I'm a bit clueless about fly selection and presentation. Does anyone have some suggestions? (I had considered bringing some smaller purple ESLs, pink squirrels, stoneflies and glo bugs)

Thanks much in advance.

Fishpaws

New Post 9/8/2010 2:45 PM
  TheFlyMaster
33 posts
www.arrowheadflyangler.com
No Ranking

Re: Fly selection for pink salmon  (United States)

All the flies you mentioned would catch the pinks.  I like using flies with pink on the them, but anything with some flash of color will get them to bite.

GL

Captain Ouitdee Carson - Arrowhead Fly Angler Guide Service
Scott Fly Rods - RIO Lines - Winston Fly Rods

New Post 9/9/2010 9:33 AM
  Fishpaws
3 posts
No Ranking

Thanks, man! That was very helpful. I haven't fished for pinks before, so I had no clue what to use. I'm tentatively planning a trip up the shore late next week, and I'll hopefully have a good report! (Hopefully, there will be some fish in when I get there...if not, then I'll have a long, scenic drive.) Again, thanks for the help!

New Post 9/21/2010 9:18 AM
  Fishpaws
3 posts
No Ranking

Update: I made the trip up the shore last Wednesday and Thursday, fishing several streams. I found quite a few fish, and many were willing to hit a fly. The rain on Wednesday, I assume, brought some fish into the rivers, as I saw quite a few rollers. Patterns that worked for me: beadhead Gorman egg; pink squirrel; purple egg sucking leech...to be fair, I think they would have hit anything small and shiny. The fish seemed to prefer a dead drift to a more aggressive retrieve, and they were great sport on a 3-weight fly rod. This was my first encounter with pink salmon, and I have to admit I found them to be feisty little fish. Thanks again for the advice. It was well worth the experience.

Previous Previous

Next Disabled
  Fly Fishing Forum  Discussions  Northshore Fly ...  Fly selection for pink salmon
  Search
Copyright 2011 by Great Lakes Fly Company - Duluth, Minnesota
Designed and Hosted by Ouitdee Carson
Register  Login